Friday 15 July 2016

deeeeep sleep

We recall the biopsy
the check up at the gynocologist's
and the wonderful radiologist (*irony)
and now the time had finally come to get the fibroadenoma removed.

My darling neighbours took me to the doctor's at 6:30am on a Monday morning. They are lovely people indeed! And then it went all quite quickly. I had a short consultation with the very friendly anesthesiologist who reassured me that the general anesthetics (my first ever!) would be given entirely intravenously. So I needn't have worried about having to breathe through the mask.

Next thing I lie down on the operating table and get my injection. I can feel it working, the room starts spinning but I feel awake. The doc asks me to close my eyes. I do, and then I am gone. Fascinating!

After about an hour I am awake again. Looking down I see a plastic box hanging from my breast. Hm, the doc had not mentioned this... After another couple of hours, I am fully awake, and my neighbour comes to collect me. So, within three hours I am back home and spend the rest of the day on my sofa. Chatting to friends and giving regular updates to my neighbours, confirming that I am still alive.

The box then gets removed the day after. Of course, I had googled it and found some nasty reports. When in fact it didn't hurt at all, other than the usual pain of removing plasters. Weirdly, the wound hurts more now that the tube and box have been removed. Mainly when I walk though, so maybe I simply didn't notice as I wasn't walking on day 1. Also, a good little trick: I put pillows on both sides to facilitate sleeping on my back as I was worrying about ripping of the tube during my sleep.

Next step: getting the stitches removed next Monday.


What I am taking from this whole experience is a new found respect and admiration for people, especially kids who have to deal with much, much worse stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment