Saturday 29 March 2014

Comedy Cafe Theatre - a first

I don't think I had been to a stand up comedy show before. I remember planning on going to one - and then ending up just sitting in the pub downstairs. I have to admit that I am a bit weary about becoming part of the performance...

So, yesterday was a first and after a great dinner at S' (first time I had corn mince, too - will definitely buy some!), we headed over to the Comedy Cafe Theatre on Rivington Street in Shoreditch. Small venue with a bar downstairs, and next door to JUBO (Korean chicken - which I am making responsible for my upset stomach a few months ago...). 

One out of three: is that a good result?
Milo McCabe was the first to come on (after the compere) - and he just wasn't funny. And then got heckled and it just got even more cringe-worthy. I just googled him, and I hadn't realized that he was performing as one of his characters. Still not funny though. It does explain though why his supposedly Portuguese accent sounded Dutch (even though he is English).

Prince Abdi on the other hand was really good - check out his gigs if you can!

The main event of the evening was Ron Vaudry. Who after about 20 minutes left the stage without a word. Maybe he had realized that the audience was just not into it. I don't mind rude humour (at all), but again, I just didn't find him funny.

The audience overall seemed very supportive though and politely laughed at all of the jokes. At least I felt that they had quite a lucky escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment